Update: Abducted corps members freed in Rivers after ransom payment
Seven members of the National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) who were abducted in Rivers State have been freed from captivity after one week in the kidnapper’s den. The victims were kidnapped by gunmen on their way to Port Harcourt from the NYSC orientation camp in Ondo State. The incident happened along the Rumuji axis of the East-West Road, Emuoha Local Government Area of the state last week Tuesday. It was gathered that five corps members managed to escape when the gunmen intercepted the bus conveying them to Port Harcourt but the others were not so lucky. Speaking to newsmen in Port Harcourt on Wednesday, May 24, a man who claimed his sister-in-law was among those kidnapped said the remaining abducted seven corps members were freed at about 9 pm on Sunday evening May 21, around Choba in Obio/Akpor local government area after a ransom was paid. “They were released on Sunday evening around 9. I saw seven of them that were released, two girls and five boys. According to one of the parents that came there that day, they paid a ransom. They were in horrible condition. It was like they used mud in robbing them and if you see their body, maybe they were bitten by mosquitoes or sand-fly in the bush.They went to report themselves at the police station where it happened and they took their statement and tried to see if they could get their belongings.” Spokesperson of the command, SP Grace Iringe-Koko, confirmed the release of the corps members to Channels TV but said she was not aware of any ransom. “I have just contacted the Rumuji Police Division. The corpers have been released. The command will make an official statement on that on Thursday.” she added.
Subsidy: Petrol hits N1,200 Per Litre in Ebonyi
Petrol now sells for N1,200 a litre in Ebonyi state, according to a report by NAN. The shocking change came after President Bola Tinubu announced the removal of fuel subsidy. Resident of Abakaliki in Ebonyi state were forced to buy petrol at a staggering N1,200 on Tuesday, according to the report. Scores of residents, who decried the high cost of petrol in the country, said they have since been engaged in panic buying. Some residents were also seen with their cans as many filling stations were under lock. A resident, Darlington Okeke, said panic buying was occasioned by Tinubu’s statement during his inauguration on Monday. Okeke stated that petrol in filling stations was sold between N800 and N1,200, against N230 per litre. Another resident, Ibrahim Ali, said black marketers sold a litre of fuel for N1,500, adding that the development was causing panic buying and frustration among residents. He, however, appealed to Tinubu to address the situation to mitigate panic buying and arbitrary hoarding of the products, which marketers introduced after the announcement by the president. Meanwhile, staff of some filling stations, who spoke under condition of anonymity, disclosed that the management of the Petroleum Dealers Association, Ebonyi State chapter, ordered the closure of fuel stations. “We are waiting for further directives,” they told NAN. Efforts to speak with the state chairman of the association, Sailas Njaka, on the development were not successful.
Troops eliminate ISWAP top commanders, 55 terrorists in Borno
At least 55 Islamic State–West Africa Province terrorists have been eliminated by Nigerian troops. Those killed included top commanders of the terrorist group. The mission was carried out by the Multinational Joint Task Force in Arege, Malam Fatori, Abadam Local Government Area of Borno State. The Niger Ministry of Defence said that it conducted a 22-day operation tagged Operation HARBIN ZUMA, targeting ISWAP strongholds. The operation, it said, was coordinated by troops of Sector 3 and Sector 4 of the MNJTF. The operation started on May 6, 2023, and ended on Sunday, May 28. According to its report, several top ISWAP commanders, including Fiya Abouzeid, Qaïd Abou Oumama, and Qaïd Malam Moustapha, as well as some religious leaders whose identities are unknown, were killed during the 22-day Operation HARBIN ZUMA. The Niger-Nigerian Air Task Force and land forces worked together to locate the enemy and cause significant damage. The troops destroyed 13 vehicles, 13 motorcycles and five Vehicles Borne Improvised Explosive Devices. Two soldiers from Nigérienne Sector 4 MNJTF were killed, three were slightly wounded, and one phantom Mrap was damaged during the operation. However, The Niger Ministry did not disclose any casualties on the Nigerian side. The main aim of Operation HARBIN ZUMA was to neutralise terrorists in their stronghold in Aregé, Nigeria. The operation also aimed to maintain pressure on the Islamic State in West Africa and eliminate any presence of armed terrorist groups in the BOSSO, BAGA, GOUDOUMBALI, and GASHIGAR areas. The operation also planned to cut off all supply routes for armed terrorist groups and reduce the threat in the region.
I pray Atiku succeeds in Nullifying Tinubu’s victory – Omokri
A former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has asked God to help Atiku Abubakar, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party to nullify President Bola Tinubu’s victory. Omokri took to social media to pray to God. The staunch Atiku’s ally applauded Tinubu for his bold statement on subsidy removal, meeting the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor, Godwin Emefiele, and the Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mele Kyari, same day he assumed office. Tweeting, Omokri said unlike the immediate last president, Muhammadu Buhari, Tinubu started work immediately he assumed office. According to Omokri: “Making a bold statement on subsidy removal and backing it up with action. Meeting Godwin Emefiele, then Mele Kyari.“Making a string of appointments. Asserting his authority over the DSS in their face-off with the EFCC.“Tinubu, unlike Buhari, has hit the ground running. I sincerely pray that our petition will succeed and President Tinubu’s election will be nullified.“But be that as it may, I must commend the actions of his first 24 hours in office.”
Education9 months ago
Education Minister Adamu Jets Out Amid Unresolved FG, ASUU Strike
Business2 years ago
Court freezes jailed Ex-Bank PHB MD, Atuche’s N19.1bn
Home2 years ago
Middle Belt Forum alleged foul play in Obadiah Mailafia’s death
LAW2 years ago
Late President Yar’Adua’s son remanded in prison for allegedly killing four people
African News2 years ago
Coup in Guinea as President is detain*International communities condemn action* Defence ministry says attack repelled
LAW2 years ago
Major slams N2Bn suit against Army, Bank over alleged unlawful freezing of account
Business1 year ago
Abdul Samad Rabiu is now the second-richest man in Nigeria
Home8 months ago
Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player in History to score 700 club goals