NDLEA intercepts 18 guns, 2,300 cartridges in Kogi

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on patrol along Okene-Abuja expressway, on Saturday, September 17, intercepted a J5 vehicle coming from Onitsha enroute Kaduna-Zaria with 18 pieces of pump action rifles and 1,300 cartridges.

While the two suspects conveying the arms and ammunition, Chukwudi Aronu, 51, and Shuaibu Gambo, 23, were arrested, another suspect, Anthony Agada, 37, conveying 1,000 cartridges, was also nabbed in a bus coming from Onitsha to Abuja on the same day.

The anti-narcotic agency spokesperson, Femi Babafemi, revealed in a statement on Sunday.

“1,404 bottles of codeine syrup and 2,040 ampoules of pentazocine injection were seized from another vehicle coming from Onitsha enroute Sokoto, with the receiver, Stanley Raymond, 39, and the sender, Shadrack Ifediora, 46, arrested in follow up operations in Sokoto and Anambra States respectively.

“In Kaduna, a drug dealer, Mohammed Dalhatu a.k.a Dawa, was arrested at Sabon Gari Zaria with eight bags of cannabis sativa weighing 67 kg, and another, Maikudi Hassan, arrested at Gubuci village of Ikara LGA with five bags of cannabis weighing 54.2 kg. On Thursday 15th Sept, operatives also arrested Mary Ugwu and Hawwa Idi, at Anchau town, Kubau LGA with 721 ampoules of pentazocine injection; 37,000 tablets of exol-5 and nine ampoules of diazepam injection as well as 6.8kg of rubber solution,” Babafemi said.

In Edo, the operatives recovered 285 kg cannabis in two raids at Okpuje, Owan West LGA, on Friday, September 16, while 972.5kg of the same substance was recovered from an electronic shop at Alaba Int’l market in Lagos, with one of the suspects, Mrs Ebere Aja, 38, arrested.

He noted that no less than 335.1kg of cannabis was seized in a raid at Kwanar Kundum area of Bauchi town, with two suspects, Usman Garba and Najib Ibrahim, arrested.

Babafemi also noted that the Chairman of the NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.) has directed the Kogi State Command of the anti-narcotics agency to immediately hand over the arms and ammunition seized to the police for further investigation.