Lagos publishes three sex offenders’ details
The Lagos State Government on Monday published the details of three adult males convicted for different sexual offences in the state.
Their identities were made known via the official Twitter handle of the state Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency, @Lagosdsva.
The agency, in the message tagged “Justice has been served,” said it was giving an “update on publication of details of sex convicts as maintained by Lagos State.”
The details of the publication include the names and pictures of the sex offenders, the nature of their offences, as well as the duration of the sentence handed down by the courts.
One of the offenders, Idowu Daniel, was reportedly convicted of sexual assault and was sentenced to seven years imprisonment.
The agency wrote, “Idowu Daniel whose picture appears here was convicted for the offence of sexual assault and was sentenced to seven years imprisonment at the Lagos State High Court.”
The second offender, Moses Olawale, was reportedly convicted of sexual assault by penetration and was sentenced to 37 years imprisonment.
The third offender, Akin Isaac, was sentenced to 21 years imprisonment after he was convicted of defilement.
The agency urged the public not to cease to get justice for domestic and sexual violence victims.
“Let us continue to demand justice for survivors,” it added.
The agency announced in May 2022, that it would start to publish the details of sexual offenders.
The Executive Secretary, Mrs Titilola Vivour-Adeniyi, who disclosed this during a press conference at the agency’s office said the move was in furtherance of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s zero tolerance for all forms of domestic and sexual violence.
She said, “This is in line with the provisions of the Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency Law, particularly Section 42, which provides that the agency is to periodically publish details of sex convicts in the state. As further provided in the law, the details of sex convicts are to be published periodically on the websites of the state government, the Ministry of Justice and the agency.
“Letters of advisory have been issued to local governments and traditional rulers of the communities where the convicts previously resided.”
Following the announcement, the agency published the details of two sex offenders who were sentenced to life imprisonment.
They included Gbenga Olasunkanmi and Bashiru Obasekere who were both convicted of defilement.
APM’S petition against my election is dead , it died May 26, Tinubu tells Court.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Tuesday in Abuja informed the Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC) that the petition filed by the Allied People’s Movement (APM) against him and his Vice, Kashim Shetima victory is dead by the Supreme Court decision on May 26, 2023.
Tinubu said that the main issues raised by the petitioner queried ‘place holder’ by Kabir Masari and Vice President Kashim Shettima’s alleged double nomination and that the issues have been resolved by the Supreme Court last Friday in a judgment in the suit marked SC/CV/501/23 between the People’s Democratic Party PDP Vs INEC and 3 others.
He gave the information at the resumed hearing through his lawyer, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN , on Tuesday. He disclosed that the PDP’S case had resolved the grievances brought before the Court by the Allied People’s Movement.
Recall that the Supreme Court had on Friday held that PDP, or any other parties, have no right to poke nose into how other parties conducted their primary elections and nominated their candidates.
The Apex Court while dismissing PDP’S case described the party as busy body and meddle some interloper and imposed a fine of N2M on the party for meddling into the internal affairs of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Olanipekun argued that the APM’S petition was similar to the case taken to Supreme Court by PDP that was dismissed on the grounds that PDP has no locus standi (legal right) to bring the action in the first place.
He submitted that the APM’S petition is predicted on internal affairs of the APC and that the Supreme Court’s latest judgment had taken life out of the petition.
He promised to make a copy of the judgment available within two days to the Court for perusal on the effects on the APM’S Petition.
Counsel to the APM, Mr Sheu Abubakar said he has not seen the judgment the respondents counsel was referring to and requested for adjournment in the hearing of the petition based on the submissions and revelations of Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN.
Prince Lateef Fagbemi SAN who stood for the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Abubakar Mahmoud SAN who appeared for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) did not object to the request for adjournment sought by the APM.
Chairman of the Court, Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani granted the request for adjournment and shifted hearing till Friday, June 2.
Fuel Subsidy: Osun Govt threatens to seal stations hoarding petrol
The government of Osun state has warned filling stations against hoarding petroleum products in the state.In a statement signed by the state’s governor spokesman, Olawale Rasheed on Tuesday, the govt threatened to seal filling stations found guilty and prosecute the operators.The removal of fuel subsidy by President Bola Tinubu during his inaugural speech at Eagle Square on Monday, immediately after he was sworn in.“Any fuel station found guilty of hoarding fuel to create artificial scarcity shall be sealed off and operators prosecuted for the crime of economic sabotage,” Adeleke said.It added that the removal of fuel subsidy by Tinubu has caused unnecessary hardship for the people of the state.“This deliberate action is not only inhumane but unpatriotic and will not be allowed by the government. To this end, the Special Monitoring Team on fuel scarcity set up by His Excellency, Governor Ademola Nurudeen Jackson Adeleke headed by the Chief of Staff, Hon Kazeem Akinleye is still effective and shall not condone any form of economic sabotage.“As from today, May 30, 2023, the Committee shall begin special monitoring of all the filling stations across the state in collaboration with law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders,” it added.However, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has supported the decision of Tinubu on the removal of fuel subsidy.The head of the company, Mele Kyari explained that the company had been spending a significant portion of its profits on the product subsidy.However, he assured Nigerians that there was no need for panic buying as the company had enough product to supply the country for the next 30 days.
Fuel Hike: Tinubu’s thoughtless announcement responsible – Sowore
Omoyele Sowore, the presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, AAC, in the February 25 presidential election has lashed out at President Bola Tinubu. This followed Tinubu’s decision to end fuel subsidy. Reacting to the resurfacing of queues, Sowore said that Tinubu’s “thoughtless fuel subsidy removal announcement triggered fuel scarcity and price gouging all over the country.” Recall that marketers and operators have increased petrol pump prices to N210-N500 per litre, following the confirmation of fuel subsidies removal by Tinubu’s administration. In a post via his verified Twitter handle on Tuesday, Sowore claimed that the nation’s elites don’t care about Nigerians. He wrote, “Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu @officialABAT thoughtless fuel subsidy removal announcement has already triggered fuel scarcity and price gouging all over Nigeria. This is why Nigerians must understand that nothing good will come out the Nigerian Elite-in and out- of power. They’re always after you. They don’t care about you! #Revolutionnow.”
Education9 months ago
Education Minister Adamu Jets Out Amid Unresolved FG, ASUU Strike
Business2 years ago
Court freezes jailed Ex-Bank PHB MD, Atuche’s N19.1bn
Home2 years ago
Middle Belt Forum alleged foul play in Obadiah Mailafia’s death
LAW2 years ago
Late President Yar’Adua’s son remanded in prison for allegedly killing four people
African News2 years ago
Coup in Guinea as President is detain*International communities condemn action* Defence ministry says attack repelled
LAW2 years ago
Major slams N2Bn suit against Army, Bank over alleged unlawful freezing of account
Business1 year ago
Abdul Samad Rabiu is now the second-richest man in Nigeria
Home8 months ago
Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player in History to score 700 club goals