I was arrested in proxy, detained for 7 days , Woman tells IIP-SARS*Seeks N30m compensation

A complainant before the Independent Investigation Panel on Human Rights Violations by Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and other units of the Nigerian Police, Saudetu Suleiman on Monday told the panel that she was unlawfully arrested in proxy by the police while they were looking for the Managing Director of Famzhi Interbiz Limited, Hajiya Mariam Suleiman Omayoza.

Testifying before the 11-Menber panel chaired by Justice Suleiman Galadima (rtd) the woman said upon her arrest she was detained for seven (7) days between 29th of October and 6th of November, 2020.

While being led in her testimony by her counsel, S.O.Abang, the petitioner said that on the day she was arrested, four (4) men who claimed they are policemen came to her residence in Kubwa Abuja to ask her to follow them to the police station.

This, according to her came as a surprise and that she pleaded to them to allow her use the rest room and they refused.

It was then, she noted that she sighted Mrs Loveth Anyanele and Mr Emmanuel Anyanele (couples) who claimed before the police officers that Famzhi Interbiz Limited, her employer owe them the sum of Seven Million Naira (N7m).

According to her, she was finally taken to Zuba, Abuja police station  where she was detained for seven days. At the police station, she informed the panel that efforts to bail her were rebuffed by the DPO, Officer Badewole Bola.

Continuing, she said that even after the Famzhi Interbiz Limited deposited two vehicles to facilitate her release, the DPO allegedly refused and rather rained insults, saying she worth nothing and therefore should stop pretending.

Thereafter, the panel inquired what she wants as a remedy to her alleged violations and her counsel, Abang pleaded for a compensation of thirty million naira (N30m) for his client’s alleged unlawful arrest and detention.

On cross-examination by police counsel, James Idachaba, the complainant said she was not physically tortured but was verbally assaulted by the DPO who she alleged said severally that he does not want to see her.
The matter was adjourned to December 1st, 2021.