In continuation of his trial on Wednesday, Yakubu told the court he has numerous friends.
Former Group Managing Director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC),Mr. Andrew Yakubu has said he can’t recall the names of his friends who gave him whopping sum of $9.8m as gift.
Yakubu stated this on Wednesday before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court Abuja in continuation of his trial for allegedly laundering the sum of $9.8m cash that was evacuated from his house in Kaduna.
Speaking under cross examination by Farouk Abdullah the prosecution counsel representing the Economy and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Yakubu agreed with the counsel that the amount of money in question “is large” in Nigeria economy.
Then, prosecution asked him who are these your friends that gave you this money?
In his response the defendant said:”I have in my statement to EFCC stated that my friends are numerous and I can not recall who they are.”
Earlier during the proceeding Yakubu had in answer to another question explained that he had one weeding , one birthday ceremony and youth empowerment during which the monies was given to him as gift.
“It is correct that the premises where the monies were evacuated from, is not where I resident but it is my asset,I owned the house,” he said.
The defendant also admitted that he have not brought evidence to show that he held birth day , weeding and empowerment ceremonies.
At this point the prosecution informed the court that he need to get Pw1 reaction to certain documents and he did not presently have the documents in court.
Abdullah said the job of prosecution is to present facts and that he is constrained. He therefore asked for an adjournment.
Defendant counsel Ahmed Raji (SAN), said he was not surprised that the prosecution asked for adjournment because “there is deliberate attempt to prolong the proceeding.”
Raji recalled that when the matter came back from Court of Appeal and the defendant wanted to enter his defence the prosecution counsel asked for stay of proceeding until his attention was drawn to the case of Mantu vs FGR that the supreme court has oust stay of proceeding in criminal cases.
He said since then it is one form of application or the other that has kept the defendant in the box for over a year.
They don’t allow criminal trial to move.A diligent prosecution counsel would have come to the court with the document.This application is lacking and against the spirit of Justice, he said.
In his ruling, Justice Mohammed adjourned the matter to July 29, for contiuation of cross examination.
In an earlier ruling Justice Mohammed had refused EFCC application to called two additional witnesses.