Court voids Ararume’s sack by Buhari, awards N5B damage against President, NNPCL
A Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday restored Senator Ifeanyi Godwin Ararume as non Executive Chairman of the Nigeria National Petroleum Company Limited NNPCL .
The Court voided the sack of the business man and set aside his removal as NNPCL Chairman done on January 17, 2022 by President Muhammadu Buhari on the ground that the action of the President was arbitrary, unlawful and illegal.
Justice Inyang Edem Ekwo in a judgment in a suit by Ararume awarded N5Bn against Buhari and NNPCL to be paid to Ararume as damages for the wrongful sack and disruption
.of his appointment.
Justice Ekwo ordered that Ararume be immediately restored to office as non Executive Chairman of the NNPCL.
The Judge also declared as null and void all decisions of the Board of Directors of the NNPCL carried out in the absence of Ararume as Chairman of the Board.
Justice Ekwo held that Buhari acted ultra vires, wrongful, illegal, null and void in the ways and manners Ararume was sacked after using his name to register NNPCL and that such brazen act cannot stand in the face of the law.
Ararume had dragged Buhari before the Court praying it to declare his removal as NNPCL Chief illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional and that it is a total breach of the Company and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) under which NNPCL was incorporated.
Apart from asking the court to issue an order to return him to office, Ararume also demanded N100 billion as compensation for the damages he suffered nationally and internationally in the unlawful ways and manner his removal was carried out by President Buhari.
Justice Ekwo in the judgment agreed that under section 63 of the CAMA, the President is vested with powers to remove Directors of the organization but held that the powers were not at large.
The Judge said that the law clearly stipulated conditions under which Directors of the NNPCL can be sacked adding that a breach of the stipulated conditions would automatically make any purported sack unlawful.
In the instant case, Justice Ekwo said that the Federal Government letter of January 17, 2022 signed by Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, did not give any reason for the removal of the plaintiff from being inaugurated along with other Directors.
The Court said that the issue of contract fraud raised in the processes filed by the NNPCL cast doubt on the character, integrity and reputation of Ararume were afterthought as such facts were not adduced in the letter that removed him from being inaugurated.
To worsen the situation, Justice Ekwo said that the NNPCL claimed to have obtained the alleged contract fraud against Ararume from on-line media adding that no probate value can be attached to such information by any Court.
The Judge said even if the allegations are to be made in the proper way, the plaintiff must be confronted with same and be allowed to defend himself as required by law adding that anything short of that, would amount to denial of fair hearing which he said, is against the natural justice.
In the judgment, the Judge restrained Buhari from removing the plaintiff as a Director of the NNPCL and that his name must also not be removed as non Executive Chairman of the organization.
Buhari had been dragged before the Court for N100 billion over the alleged unlawful removal of Ararume as a non-Executive Chairman of the Petroleum Company.
Ararume demanded the huge sum as damages caused him in the alleged unlawful manner he was removed as the NNPC Chief after using his name to incorporate the entity.
The suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/691/2022 was instituted on his behalf by a group of Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) comprising Chief Chris Uche, Ahmed Raji, Mahmud Magaji, Ogwu James Onoja, K.C Nwufor and Gordy Uche.
Ararume had prayed for an order of the Court setting aside his removal by Buhari vide letter of January 17, 2022 with reference number SGF.3V111/86.
He also sought order of the Court reinstating him forthwith and restoring him to office with all the appurtenant rights and privileges of the office of the NNPC non Executive Chairman.
The politician further demanded for nullification and setting aside of all decisions and resolutions of the NNPC Board made in his absence from January 17, 2022 till date and another order restraining the defendants from removing his name as Director of the Company.
Subsidy: Petrol hits N1,200 Per Litre in Ebonyi
Petrol now sells for N1,200 a litre in Ebonyi state, according to a report by NAN. The shocking change came after President Bola Tinubu announced the removal of fuel subsidy. Resident of Abakaliki in Ebonyi state were forced to buy petrol at a staggering N1,200 on Tuesday, according to the report. Scores of residents, who decried the high cost of petrol in the country, said they have since been engaged in panic buying. Some residents were also seen with their cans as many filling stations were under lock. A resident, Darlington Okeke, said panic buying was occasioned by Tinubu’s statement during his inauguration on Monday. Okeke stated that petrol in filling stations was sold between N800 and N1,200, against N230 per litre. Another resident, Ibrahim Ali, said black marketers sold a litre of fuel for N1,500, adding that the development was causing panic buying and frustration among residents. He, however, appealed to Tinubu to address the situation to mitigate panic buying and arbitrary hoarding of the products, which marketers introduced after the announcement by the president. Meanwhile, staff of some filling stations, who spoke under condition of anonymity, disclosed that the management of the Petroleum Dealers Association, Ebonyi State chapter, ordered the closure of fuel stations. “We are waiting for further directives,” they told NAN. Efforts to speak with the state chairman of the association, Sailas Njaka, on the development were not successful.
Troops eliminate ISWAP top commanders, 55 terrorists in Borno
At least 55 Islamic State–West Africa Province terrorists have been eliminated by Nigerian troops. Those killed included top commanders of the terrorist group. The mission was carried out by the Multinational Joint Task Force in Arege, Malam Fatori, Abadam Local Government Area of Borno State. The Niger Ministry of Defence said that it conducted a 22-day operation tagged Operation HARBIN ZUMA, targeting ISWAP strongholds. The operation, it said, was coordinated by troops of Sector 3 and Sector 4 of the MNJTF. The operation started on May 6, 2023, and ended on Sunday, May 28. According to its report, several top ISWAP commanders, including Fiya Abouzeid, Qaïd Abou Oumama, and Qaïd Malam Moustapha, as well as some religious leaders whose identities are unknown, were killed during the 22-day Operation HARBIN ZUMA. The Niger-Nigerian Air Task Force and land forces worked together to locate the enemy and cause significant damage. The troops destroyed 13 vehicles, 13 motorcycles and five Vehicles Borne Improvised Explosive Devices. Two soldiers from Nigérienne Sector 4 MNJTF were killed, three were slightly wounded, and one phantom Mrap was damaged during the operation. However, The Niger Ministry did not disclose any casualties on the Nigerian side. The main aim of Operation HARBIN ZUMA was to neutralise terrorists in their stronghold in Aregé, Nigeria. The operation also aimed to maintain pressure on the Islamic State in West Africa and eliminate any presence of armed terrorist groups in the BOSSO, BAGA, GOUDOUMBALI, and GASHIGAR areas. The operation also planned to cut off all supply routes for armed terrorist groups and reduce the threat in the region.
I pray Atiku succeeds in Nullifying Tinubu’s victory – Omokri
A former presidential aide, Reno Omokri has asked God to help Atiku Abubakar, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party to nullify President Bola Tinubu’s victory. Omokri took to social media to pray to God. The staunch Atiku’s ally applauded Tinubu for his bold statement on subsidy removal, meeting the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Governor, Godwin Emefiele, and the Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mele Kyari, same day he assumed office. Tweeting, Omokri said unlike the immediate last president, Muhammadu Buhari, Tinubu started work immediately he assumed office. According to Omokri: “Making a bold statement on subsidy removal and backing it up with action. Meeting Godwin Emefiele, then Mele Kyari.“Making a string of appointments. Asserting his authority over the DSS in their face-off with the EFCC.“Tinubu, unlike Buhari, has hit the ground running. I sincerely pray that our petition will succeed and President Tinubu’s election will be nullified.“But be that as it may, I must commend the actions of his first 24 hours in office.”
Education9 months ago
Education Minister Adamu Jets Out Amid Unresolved FG, ASUU Strike
Business2 years ago
Court freezes jailed Ex-Bank PHB MD, Atuche’s N19.1bn
Home2 years ago
Middle Belt Forum alleged foul play in Obadiah Mailafia’s death
LAW2 years ago
Late President Yar’Adua’s son remanded in prison for allegedly killing four people
African News2 years ago
Coup in Guinea as President is detain*International communities condemn action* Defence ministry says attack repelled
LAW2 years ago
Major slams N2Bn suit against Army, Bank over alleged unlawful freezing of account
Business1 year ago
Abdul Samad Rabiu is now the second-richest man in Nigeria
Home8 months ago
Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player in History to score 700 club goals