Director Defence Media Operations DDMO, General Markus Kangye
Director Defence Media Operations DDMO, General Markus Kangye

Offensive operations against terrorists yielding tangible results, Says DHQ

The Armed Forces of Nigeria says at weekend that its operations against terrorists, bandits and extremists across the various regions of the country are yielding tangible results, and would continue to evolve new strategies to meet emerging threats.

The insurgency in the country which began in 2009 as Boko Haram has been largely degraded over the years, but the country security situation had not improved much as it now face with terrorists and armed bandits attacks, violence extremists attacks in some zones and crude oil thieves and the vex issues of kidnapped for ransom in several parts of the country.

Director Defence Media Operations, Major General Markus Kangye said in report on Friday that the Armed Forces of Nigeria in collaboration with Hybrid Forces and other security agencies have intensified operations along both kinetic and non-kinetic lines of operations across all theatres last week with resounding outcomes.

According to the report,”during the week, scores of terrorist, bandits and IPOB/ESN criminals were killed, while some of them were arrested.”

“Others surrendered to our troops due to superior fire power as well. The professionalism, resilience, and determination of our troops will continue to inspire confidence in our collective ability to overcome the myriads of security challenges facing us as a nation”, he assured .

The Director summarised activities of some theatres as follows: In Operation DELTA SAFE theatre, troops foiled oil theft worth over Two Hundred and Sixty Three Million Eight Hundred and Forty Three Thousand Five Hundred and Twenty Two Naira (N263,843,522.00) only.

The breakdown indicates: 198,482 litres of stolen crude oil, 63,846 litres of illegally refined AGO and 947 litres of PMS.” Troops also “discovered and destroyed 24 crude oil cooking ovens, 26 dugout pits, 9 boats, 19 storage tanks, 21 drums and 15 illegal refining sites.”

“Furthermore, 8 oil thieves and other criminals were arrested while assorted arms and ammunition were recovered. Also 9 vehicles were seized from the criminals. Items recovered include some arms and ammunition as well as Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and IED making materials.”

On it’s part, troops of JOINT TASK FORCE NORTH EAST OPERATION HADIN KAI conducted kinetic operation against Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorist in the general areas of Platari, Sambisa Forest and Timbuktu triangle eliminating scores of terrorists for 5 days from July 4 – 9..

“Also, large number of terrorists comprising adult males and females including children surrendered to troops as operational tempo heightened across the theatre.”

Troops offensive operations were also conducted in Gwoza, Kaga, Mafa, Ngala, Abadam, Bama, Biu, Konduga, Damboa and Dikwa LGAs of Borno State as well as Madagali LGA of Adamawa State. During these encounters, some terrorists were killed in action, 5 of their collaborators were arrested, while 4 kidnapped victims were rescued.

Some quantities of arms and ammunition were also recovered. Troops also retrieved and safely detonated some IEDs while the sum of N822,500.00 was also recovered. Similarly, a high profile terrorists Commander identified as Ibn Ali surrendered to troops with his weapons and cache of ammunition in Bama LGA of Borno State.